Saturday, December 20, 2008

Zoo Lights

I think it can be said that the Lincoln Park Zoo has the worst parking lot ever. It can also be said that people who live in the city don't know how to drive and are wholly unfamiliar with the complicated physics of parking a car in a crowded lot. We left the house at 4:00. Due to traffic and some bad mapquest directions we arrived at the zoo around 5:30. Around 6:30 we finally parked the car. The line to park was so bad that Lisa and Grace finally got out and went in to the zoo while I sat in the car cursing the stupidity of the people in front of me. Kaitlyn and Amy would have joined them except that Kaitlyn was sleeping at the time.

So begins our annual Monday/Funke outing to freeze our butts off while looking at sleeping animals and Christmas lights. At least this year we didn't go in the middle of a blizzard.

Grace coloring some kind of thing they were giving away in the ape house.

Trying to catch a snowflake in her mouth.

Grace and Mom in front of the giant snowman.

Sitting on Santa's lap without crying.

On our way out, posing in front of the zoo entrance.

6 comments:

Olivia said...

Um, yeah, maybe it's you suburbanites who can't figure out how to get to the zoo who can't drive and park....he he he, I mean, it's right there on Fullerton and the lake....it's kinda hard to miss.

Really, how do you know that the people who supposedly could not drive were from the city and were not rubes who were just going to the zoolights and relying on mapquest too? Maybe it's THOSE people who can't park.

They needed their CPS....that's short for Catherine Positioning System.....which is what you get when your Nana learns you your streets way back when. (Full disclosure: My Nana was born in Chicago to her mother, who emigrated from Poland in 1905. She lived in the city until the late 70s, when my mom and her sisters moved out to the burbs with their kids, although she did retain ownership of the building in Bucktown that I later ended up living in from ages 12-18.

In short, I can pretty much get you anywhere in the city, no map or mapquest needed....just ask Tony or Michael. Mapquest Schmapquest is what I say....wasn't it the one that gave you the rotten directions to my house?

But seriously, the zoo is a little hard to miss...you take the Kennedy to Fullerton, head east to the lake, make a right. Can't really miss it. The real question is that it seemed to be kinda snowy and cold, at least down in Beverly on Saturday....which made Michael and me question why, if not a blizzard, why a snowy night?

Anyway, it looks like you did have fun and the pictures are cute!

Olivia said...

PS--as you can tell from my "Full Disclosure," when I say I am 'from Chicago,' I really do mean it. Normally I could care less, but I get my dander up when people start accusating on us city folk. Once I had some dork in grad school at a department party ask me if I was from Chicago, the 'real city' or the suburbs and I was just pretending to be from the city. I cooly told him that my family lived in Chicago proper since 1905 and that I lived in a building that my grandmother owned since 1946. Then I also told him that I was a graduate of the Chicago Public Schools system for both elementary and high school.

Then I asked him where he was from.

It was a suburb of somewhere. I think Minneapolis.

Court said...

Being from the city impresses me very little and it impresses me even less when that person doesn't know how to park a car. Mapquest didn't screw up the parking lot, stupid people did and those stupid people were overwhelmingly from the city. I checked vehicle stickers to make sure.

Olivia said...

Well then stay in the effin suburbs.

Olivia said...

Sorry, that comment was a bit rude....but I say it's you suburbanites that can't drive. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Court said...

Hate to break it to ya but your city zip code doesn't change the fact that you live in the burbs too.